Find accredited mechanic technician training programs at local trade schools and technical colleges near you. Use the program search application to find a college with one of many available types of mechanic certification classes.
All programs are not available in all locations, use the search application to learn about your local options.
Available mechanic training courses include:
- Aircraft Maintenance
- Automotive Technology
- Diesel Technology
- Industrial Mechanics
- Marine Maintenance
- Motorcycle Maintenance
Colleges with Mechanic Training Programs
- Arizona Automotive Institute
- Porter & Chester Institute
- Pittsburgh Technical College
- MMI Marine Mechanic Training
- Charter College
- Baker College
- Universal Technical Institute
- NY Automotive & Diesel Institute
- Lincoln Tech
- Remington College
Mechanic Career Path:
- If you’re still in high school, take all relevant trade, math and science courses!
- Earn high school diploma or GED.
- Take classes at an accredited trade school or community college.
- Earn your diploma or degree to become an automotive technician.
- Take further training in your specialty of choice
Mechanic School Costs
“There are a few different options for becoming a certified auto mechanic. They are either online, from a certificate program, or an associate’s degree program. After a certificate or diploma is received, there is the option to take the certification exam through the National Institute for Auto Service Excellence (NIASE).
- Certificate: 6 mo – 2 yr – $5,000-$20,000
- Degree: 2 yr full time – $10,000-$25,000
Certificate Programs: These should include all the materials for the hands-on study portion including engines, transmission systems, and auto diagnosis, repair and maintenance courses. Expect additional fees for books, tools, lab fees and other miscellaneous items which can add between $1,000-$3,000 to the total.
Degree Programs: The major bulk of the cost should include all coursework, including the required general education courses along with the auto mechanics classes. If the degree program is at a university, expect an additional cost of $5,000-10,000 for room and board, plus similar fees as the certificate programs.”