This list of fast trade school programs includes those ranging from about 1 month to 1 year in length. The following programs don’t take a lot of time or money to complete and a few of them can even be taken online. The jobs these trade school programs can lead to have good salaries and the most recent salary information (released by BLS in 2023) is noted below.
Fast Trade School Programs with Good Pay
The salaries listed below are the average pay from the official BLS website. Keep in mind, entry level pay is less, but as you gain experience, your paycheck will increase to match. In some areas the jobs listed, like truck driver and HVAC technician are moving very fast and may be paying more in your area than this list would indicate. Find a local trade school now.
We list more than just construction programs here since many types of career training programs are available at “trade schools”.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL) training programs are fast! They take 3-6 weeks to complete; average pay: $53,090 per year. The truck driver shortage as of the time of this update is estimated at 60,000 drivers.
- Diesel mechanic training programs take 6 months to 1 year to finish, but some schools do offer 2 year associate’s degree programs; average pay: $56,140 per year.
Read: What Does a Diesel Mechanic Do? for more.
- Certified medical assistant programs can take as little 8 weeks to a few months to complete. This is another career where you can stay in school longer, up to an associate’s degree; average pay: $40,700 per year.
- Dental Assistant programs take 9 months to 1 year for certification training; average pay: $44,710 per year. There are online dental assistant programs available in many states.
Read: What Does a Dental Assistant Do? (& How to Become One) for more.
Home Health Aide
- Home Health Aide courses are fast generally taking only 3 months; average pay: $30,930 per year.
- Medical coding programs take about 8 weeks to a few months complete and it’s a popular online course that you can complete at your own pace. This is a career where you can stay in school longer, up to an associate’s degree; average pay: $51,090.
Certified Nursing Assistant
- Certified Nursing Assistant college courses take 6-12 weeks to complete, this is also a popular online course; average pay: $36,220 per year.
- HVAC school programs take about 6 months to 1 year to finish; average pay: $57,460 per year or $27.63 per hour. HVAC jobs are plentiful in many areas like Florida, Texas, and California.
- Phlebotomy Technician training takes around 1 year of college classes; average pay: $40,580 per year. Phlebotomist is also career that requires some hands on training but hybrid classroom-online courses may be available.
Find a phlebotomy school near you.
- Plumbing trade school programs take about 1 year of school, then you start your apprenticeship; average pay: $65,190 per year.
Use our program search application to connect with a trade school near you.
The program times listed are estimates based on hours of credit needed or other references from our partner trade schools and technical colleges. I will update the salary information when the new numbers are posted on the BLS website, so check back periodically.
Reference and more reading: