Military veterans with skilled trade or technical training have some advantages when applying to get a skilled trade job as they transition from the military. As a veteran, you possess proven training and have already shown your dedication and work ethic. Employers will also consider the accelerated learning curve of military training, leadership qualities, and teamwork needed to succeed in the armed forces.
Popular Skilled Trade Jobs for Vets
- Electrician – Whether you were an interior electrician, avionic systems repairer, aircraft electrician or power distribution specialist you have the training and experience to apply for many different types of jobs in the private sector. Jobs available to vets with this type of experience may include substation wireman, maintenance electrician, or industrial electronics technician.
- Welder – If your job was allied trade specialist, military support welder, or aircraft metals technology specialist there are a variety of civilian jobs that may be available to you. These include structural welder, robotic welder, fabricator, TIG welder, welding engineer and others.
- Mechanic – Many jobs in the military will have prepared you for positions in the mechanics industry. They include construction equipment repairer, helicopter repairer, artillery mechanic, avionic mechanic, track vehicle repairer, watercraft engineer, and utilities equipment repairer.
- Heavy Equipment Operator – Quarrying specialists, horizontal construction engineers, and concrete and asphalt equipment operators, all have the training and experience that will lend to getting a private sector job as a heavy equipment operator. Available jobs may include loader operator, excavator operator, chemical equipment operator and others.
- Driver – Military jobs like cargo specialist and motor transport operator will help prepare you for a civilian job in the driving industry. Major carriers such as Werner and Transport america and have military vet hiring programs and may take your service into account when determining starting pay. Find a CDL job now.
- HVAC – Military jobs such as HVAC/R specialists and utilities equipment repairers make a transition to private sector jobs like HVAC technician rather easy. There are locally based and national HVAC companies with military hiring programs.
Many employers have military hiring programs already in place. Employers may also offer on-boarding programs geared toward vets.
Reference & Resources