Veterans, service-members and qualified dependents CAN get education benefits for trade school and other non-degree programs if they qualify for the GI Bill and enroll at an approved school.

Types of skilled trade training programs that the GI Bill can be used to offset cost include, but are not limited to:

Students may choose the Post 9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty, or the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve, among other VA educational assistance programs. The GI Bill comparison tool may help you choose the one that’s right for you.

What Are The Benefits Like?

The benefits provided by the GI Bill include money for the trade school or other non-degree program tuition plus money for books and supplies. The amount of money a veteran or service member receives depends on which GI Bill program they choose and which school they attend. The VA will pay the student at the end of each month for the hours spent training, and they also give the student a monthly housing allowance, based on the school’s location.

How To Apply For Benefits

Veterans, service-members, and their dependents applying for the GI Bill can apply online, by mail, or in person. In the reference link at the bottom of this page, “How To Apply For The GI Bill”, you will find the links, phone numbers, and VA regional office locations. The average time it takes to process education claims is 30 days.

Before applying, you’ll need to gather certain documents and information such as your social security number, bank direct deposit info, education and military history, and information about the trade school or other career training program you plan to attend.

Using Benefits For Online Courses

The GI Bill can be used for online skilled trade and career training courses. If the student is using their benefits while taking online courses, the VA will pay a housing allowance based on 50 percent of the national average.