This article contains a list of skilled trade jobs that will be in demand in 2021. Generally, the skills needed to succeed in these types of in-demand careers can be learned through a trade school, an apprenticeship, or on the job.
The average salaries of these careers vary a lot and often depend on the amount of training needed. Generally, the more training needed for a job, the higher the average pay, but this is not always the case.
Use the program search application to connect with a trade school near you.
Skilled Trade Workers In Demand
The following job growth is expected between now and 2029.
- PV Installers: Solar photovoltaic installers are in demand, and this career is expected to grow 51%. PV installer average pay in 2019 was $44,890.
- Wind Turbine Technicians: The number of wind turbine service technician jobs is projected to grow 61%. The average wind turbine tech makes more than $54,000.
- Electricians: Employment of electricians is expected to grow 8%. An electrician’s average pay is close to $56,180.
- Carpenters: Employment of carpenters is projected to grow 8%. The average pay of a carpenter in 2019 was about $48,330.
- Hazardous Materials Removal: HAZMAT removal employment is projected to grow 8%. HAZMAT removal workers earn about $43,900 each year.
- Iron-workers: Iron-worker jobs are projected to grow 5%, and the average annual pay is over $53,650.
- HVAC Technicians: Employment of HVAC technicians and installers is projected to grow 4%. The average salary of an HVAC tech is $48,730.
- Construction Equipment Operators: Construction equipment operator jobs are projected to grow 4% and they make close to $48,160 per year. Learn about what to expect during your CDL classes.
Some of these careers listed above, like wind turbine technician and solar photovoltaic (PV) installers, are in extremely high demand. Others—like carpenter—aren’t growing quite that fast, but they’re still growing at or above average compared to all careers. Getting trained for any of these jobs will offer you a great chance at employment. There are also medical careers in demand and you can read about those here: In Demand Medical Workers.
Salaries listed above are from 2019, the most recent data available on the BLS website at the time this article edited in Jan. of 2021.
Jobs in construction and extraction are projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, that’s about the average of all occupations. The average yearly salary for all construction skilled trade occupations was more than $47,430 in May 2019. [BLS]
Find a skilled trade program now.