There are a wide range of career options within the criminal justice system. The salary range for criminal justice careers varies as widely as the actual career choices. If you’re considering a career in criminal justice or criminology you should be aware of what their median salary ranges are.
Criminal Justice Career Salary Information
- Paralegal: Median salary is $48,810. High is $79,010. Low is $30,670.
- Court Reporter/Stenographer: Median salary is $49,500. High is $90,510. Low is $27,180.
- Security Guard: Median annual salary is $28,460. High is $45,010. Low is $18,350.
- Correctional Officer: Median range salary is $40,530. High is $73,060. Low is $27,830.
- Accident Investigator: The median salary is $62,980. High is $94,180. Low is $37,880.
- Private Investigator: Median annual wage is $45,610. High is $85,190. Low is $26,920.
- Parole Officer: From Salary.com, the median wage is $53,226. High is $59,181. Low is $47,275.
- Police Officer/Detective: Median annual wage is $60,270. High is $100,560. Low is $34,170.
- Probation Officer: Median annual salary is $49,360. High is $86,140. Low is $32,900.
- Bailiff: Mean annual wage is $44,900. High is $73,070. Low is $22,650.
- Crime Scene Investigator: Median annual salary is $56,320. High is $94,410. Low is $34,000.
- Bounty Hunter: 10-20% of bail or roughly $50,000-$80,000 yearly.
- Criminal Profiler/Psychologist: Annual median salary is $72,580. High is $118,310. Low is $41,110.
- Animal Control Officer: Annual median salary is $33,870. High is $51,600. Low is $20,060.
- Mediator: Median annual salary is $58,020. High is $118,090. Low is $32,440.
- Computer Forensic Investigator/Information Security Analyst: Median annual salary is $90,120. High is $143,770. Low is $51,280. (bls.gov does not provide salary information for computer forensics however information security analysis are similar fields)
Some criminal justice careers require a two-year degree while others demand four years or beyond. Salaries are generally higher for those who hold bachelor’s or master’s degrees in their chosen criminal justice fields.
Further Criminal Justice Career Reading:
- Criminal Justice Careers
- How to Become a Paralegal
- Detectives on BLS
- Forensic Science Tech on BLS
- Paralegal/Legal Asst on BLS