There are a wide range of career options within the criminal justice system. The salary range for criminal justice careers varies as widely as the actual career choices. If you’re considering a career in criminal justice, you should be aware of what their median salary ranges are.
Criminal Justice Careers Salary Information
- Paralegal: Median salary is $48,810. High is $79,010. Low is $30,670.
- Court Reporter/Stenographer: Median salary is $49,500. High is $90,510. Low is $27,180.
- Security Guard: Median annual salary is $28,460. High is $45,010. Low is $18,350.
- Correctional Officer: Median range salary is $40,530. High is $73,060. Low is $27,830.
- Accident Investigator: The median salary is $62,980. High is $94,180. Low is $37,880.
- Private Investigator: Median annual wage is $45,610. High is $85,190. Low is $26,920.
- Parole Officer: From Salary.com, the median wage is $53,226. High is $59,181. Low is $47,275.
- Police Officer/Detective: Median annual wage is $60,270. High is $100,560. Low is $34,170.
- Probation Officer: Median annual salary is $49,360. High is $86,140. Low is $32,900.
- Bailiff: Mean annual wage is $44,900. High is $73,070. Low is $22,650.
- Crime Scene Investigator: Median annual salary is $56,320. High is $94,410. Low is $34,000.
- Bounty Hunter: 10-20% of bail or roughly $50,000-$80,000 yearly.
- Criminal Profiler/Psychologist: Annual median salary is $72,580. High is $118,310. Low is $41,110.
- Animal Control Officer: Annual median salary is $33,870. High is $51,600. Low is $20,060.
- Mediator: Median annual salary is $58,020. High is $118,090. Low is $32,440.
- Computer Forensic Investigator/Information Security Analyst: Median annual salary is $90,120. High is $143,770. Low is $51,280. (bls.gov does not provide salary information for computer forensics however information security analysis are similar fields)
Some criminal justice careers require a two-year degree while others demand four years or beyond. Salaries are generally higher for those who hold bachelor’s or master’s degrees in their chosen criminal justice fields.