As a nail technician you’re considered a beauty specialist, and you refine and decorate the fingers and toes of your clients. As a nail technician, nails are your canvas; polishes, files, and creams are just some of your tools.
Nail Tech Job Description
As a Nail technician your daily duties can include:
- Talking with your clients about their nails
- Using polish remover to take off the old polish
- Tidying the nails by cleaning, trimming, and filing
- Using creams to moisturize your client’s hands or feet
- Applying the polish
- Explaining to your clients how to care for their skin and nails in between visits
- To make more money, having add-on sale merchandise such as polish, cute files, and other grooming tools
- Making sure your workspace and tools are sanitized
You may own your own salon, work in one, or rent a chair from one.
Nail Technician Education
If you’re planning on working as a nail tech, then will need to enroll in one of the many state-approved cosmetology schools. Here’s what to know about the education it takes to become a manicurist:
- You must be a minimum of 16 years old.
- Have a high school diploma or GED.
- Enroll in a state-approved and accredited cosmetology or nail tech program.
- Nail tech training can take between three to nine months, depending on the program and your state.
- You’ll learn how to give manicures and pedicures. You’ll also learn the business side of the profession.
- You need a license to work so you’ll take the state boards; both practical and hands on portions will be given.
- You need a separate license if you plan of being a mobile business.
Nail Tech Salary Information
Salary Information – Manicurists generally work full time, and very often on the weekends and evenings. You may even choose to work more than 40 hours, depending on your clients’ schedules. Many manicurists go out of their way for their regulars. Pay is usually hourly for manicurists. The median hourly wage is $14.65 (about $30,480 per year), with the top 10 percent making about $18.70 per hour. Those wages are not including the tips manicurists earn, which can almost double their income.
Learn about other careers in beauty or go find a nail technician school near you.